Friday, January 16, 2009

Bring on the sunshine

Day 16: Pogo kitty basking in the sun

Today is still FRIGID (below zero) and most schools are still closed. And our last energy bill was outrageous. But it's blue skies and very sunny today so we opened up the blinds and let the sunshine help keep the house warm during the day. And Pogo took full advantage of it, basking in the sun on the family room couch. Ahhh. The life. I couldn't resist this being my photo of the day.

On a completely unrelated note, I have a huge fear of flying. It gets worse and worse as I get older, and particularly since I've become a parent. I get sweaty palms, fast pulse, and unconsciously have a death grip on the arm rests upon take-offs and landings (and significant turbulence). I can't imagine what the people on that flight that went down in the Hudson River yesterday were going through. I would've been terrified. But I must say, I only hope every pilot is as skilled and calm as that pilot yesterday. It's totally amazing that everyone made it off that plane safely. Who knew you could make an emergency landing on a river with no working engines? Kudos to him! And I wish he could pilot every single plane I fly on from now on.

1 comment:

Ma Barrett said...

We should all be cats taking naps in the sun on days like today! I wore my ice fishing boots in the car on my way to work because my feet were freezing.

I think the "miracle on the Hudson" story is amazing too. Those photos of folks standing in the Hudson river up to their ankles on top of the wing of the plane are something else.