Saturday, January 20, 2007

Ready, set, go!

I'm officially posting on my blog for the first time. I still haven't figured this thing out, so bear with me until I have time to learn how to use Blogger.

I'm starting out with a bang by participating in a very cool art challenge co-hosted by my good friend Kari, and Bonnie. The name of the challenge is A Cabinet of Natural Curiosity. Bonnie started the challenge on Thursday with a prompt to Explore, and she'll post every week on Thursday. Kari will post her prompts each Sunday. There will be a total of 8 prompts for this challenge. Here are my first pages:



I ended up doing a 2 page spread for this first prompt. I used watercolor paper for my pages, which are 9"x9", with a 1" side margin where I will punch holes for the binding at the end of the project. Eventually I'll have a cover, too, but I might just finish all the pages first before I decide on a cover. I used water color crayons on the background, which I just used for the first time, so I'm still learning. The flowers (and green/white checks) are fabric, the stems are ribbon, and I used some fun tie-downs for the center of the flowers, with fiber to bind them together. For the journaling, I used the Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken", which was part of the prompt and I've always loved that poem. The space beneath the flowers and the space where the journaling is loosely represent the road and my desire to explore the unknown: new places to visit, new art to create, new experiences to explore.

My parting words: Please be kind to me! (hee hee hee) Not only do I not know how to take good photos of my "art" (any pointers?), but I'm a novice to boot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really think your 2page lay out is great! Well done for trying something new! I love watercolor pencil crayons too and water colors. I think your colors are so soft and muted and just beautiful. Those fabric flowers are lovely. All around an excellent start to a wonderful project!

Kari said...

Love this layout, Ginger. Welcome to blogland:):)

Nerissa Alford said...

I'm a newbie too. Great job. I love lilac and green!
Nerissa